The Jack County Museum, 241 W. Belknap, Jacksboro, Texas, is located in one of the oldest houses in Jack County. Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Cooper built the home in 1882 from materials freighted in by wagon from Jefferson, Texas. The Coopers paid for their home with $20 gold pieces. The house witnessed the birth of the "Corn Club" in Texas, later known as the 4-H Club, in 1907 when the founder Tom M. Marks was the resident.
When the last owner, Mrs. A. A. (Lottie) Files died in December, 1987, her grandchildren offered to sell the home to the Jacksboro Chamber of Commerce to be used as a permanent site for the Jack County Museum. Donations came from private citizens, businesses and organizations including various 4-H Clubs throughout the state. On September 15, 1988, the transaction was finalized and the Jack County Museum moved here to its permanent location. We hope you enjoy the many treasures here at the museum.
Please click here for our new Museum Brochure.